Business update - May 2020
A message from our Chief Operating Officer
The Government recently announced its ‘road map’ towards the easing of restrictions and the re-opening of the services that we have all enjoyed in the past.
The re-opening of indoor leisure and fitness facilities is likely to be some time in July and this continues to be dependent upon all of us continuing to follow the Government’s advice in order that the transmission of the virus can be controlled.
We have been working exceedingly hard with our sector agencies, ukactive and Sport England, to develop a framework of operating protocols so that we can provide you with the necessary confidence to resume using our facilities when the time is right.
We have a team of highly experienced leisure and safety professionals who are putting in place the necessary measures to ensure you, your friends and family are safe when you return. Our Plan has six elements:
- We will ensure that our Staff are safe and ready to welcome you, and they will have received the necessary Training in some new ways of working.
- We will Re-Commission our facilities so that technically and environmentally they are ready to receive you.
- We will Re-Purpose some of our facilities to more easily apply social distancing, such as running some exercises classes in the open air or in large sports halls, reducing the amount of equipment within the gym, or relocating it into other areas, having an advance booking system that limits the number of customers at any one time and closing early to allow for daily deep cleaning.
- We will ensure that our Supply Chain is re-established and capable of meeting new demands.
- We will put in place new and heightened Safety and Hygiene protocols.
- We will Communicate with you to ensure that you are kept fully informed of the necessary changes we have to make and further updates as the official guidance on swimming and sports activities is developed.
You can be assured that the measures we put in place will conform to the standards agreed with the Government and which are being steered by eminent medical professionals and virologists.
Following the Government’s announcement about the re-opening of some outdoor recreation facilities, such as tennis, we are currently working with our local authority partners to develop a protocol to enable this.
We are working tirelessly with Swim England to develop the necessary measures that will provide the Government and their medical advisors the confidence that will permit us to re-open swimming facilities. These measures will take account of water chlorination, air circulation, social distancing, plus sanitising and operational protocols within changing rooms.
We’ve been delighted that the Government and the Chief Medical Officer have continually stressed the importance of exercise and we hope that you have found the Places Locker App with its free online classes and other content beneficial at this time.
This has been a tough time for everyone and we’re so proud of so many of our staff who have been volunteering in their local communities providing such valuable service to the vulnerable and those in need.
Please be assured of our ongoing commitment to you and we very much look forward to the time when, in a safe and responsible way, our facilities can be enjoyed again.
Chief Operating Officer
14 May 2020
Find out more