Exercise referral scheme
Improving my health
Exercise Referral is a 12-week programme designed to improve health and wellbeing by encouraging participants to move more within a safe and comfortable environment. The scheme aims to help those who suffer from, or are at risk of, developing chronic medical conditions and provides support to people whose health could benefit from a more active lifestyle.
How can physical activity help me?
Physical activity is an essential aspect of good health, managing conditions and preventing illness. By increasing your level of physical activity, you can support your body in:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Increasing bone density
- Improving mobility, cholesterol levels, lung function and mood
- Lowering blood pressure, stress, and anxiety levels
What can I expect from the scheme?
Upon signing up to the scheme, you will meet our friendly team of trained staff at Gosport Leisure Centre. Together, you will agree a personal plan which considers your medical conditions, preferences, interests, and lifestyles.
During the 12-week programme, you will be provided with ongoing support from the team to achieve the goals set during your introductory session.
Am I eligible?
Those who are eligible include people who are currently inactive and suffer with one or more of the following medical conditions:
- Obesity (BMI over 30)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Simple mechanical (non-specific) back pain
- Total joint replacement
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Cancer rehabilitation
- Cardiac rehabilitation
What is included?
- Initial Consultation – This is where we will complete questionnaires, goal setting, medical history and general get to know your needs.
- Session plan to follow for Gym Sessions (45-60 minutes)
- 6 week follow up review – check that you are on track, make any updates if needed.
- 12 week end review – Check if achieved goals that were set, sign off and finish the programme, discuss next steps.
- Use gym at anytime for low risk participants.
- Weekly contacts from your instructor to check in how the week is going, extra support and motivation.
How much does it cost?
How do I sign up?
If you meet the requirements, you can either be referred via your GP, nominated help professional, or by emailing us or, if you'd like more information, give us a call on01908 610477.