The more, the merrier!
Stay active with a friend this winter and you'll both benefit
There’s no doubt about it – friendships are good for you.
Friendships have the power to enrich our lives in so many ways – ways that are good for your physical health, your mental health, and your overall wellbeing. Study after study has shown that social connections – through family, friends, or even with companion animals – seem to pay off in terms of good health, longevity, and even prolonged survival among patients with chronic conditions.
Research has shown that friendships can:
- Give you a greater sense of belonging and purpose
- Increase your happiness and reduce your stress
- Boost your self-confidence and self-worth
- Help you cope with traumas, such as serious illness, job loss, divorce, or the death of a loved one
- Help you to transition out of unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as smoking or excessive drinking, and encourage you to try new ones such as increasing your activity and exercising
There’s no denying that the winter months are a difficult time to stay motivated and remain active – let alone increase your activity and exercise. But, when there’s a mountain of evidence telling us how important activity and movement are to our overall health and wellbeing – we should probably make the time to move.
So, why not up your health and wellbeing ante by being active with a friend? You’ll be getting all the positive benefits of social connection, plus all the positive benefits of being active! It’s like a double dose of self-care all in one go!
Plus, when you work out with a friend, you’re likely to:
- Feel more motivated. When you and your buddy encourage each other, you’ll work harder (and get better results!).
- Be more adventurous. It’s easier to try new things with a friend. You may just find an activity you love, one that feels more like fun and less like a workout.
- Be more consistent. When someone else is counting on you to show up, you won’t want to let them down.
To enjoy those benefits, you may find that you need the right workout partner. Look for someone with the same goals, schedule, and commitment you have. Someone who makes you feel positive and inspires you to keep active on a regular basis.
Even if you like to work out alone, changing things up with a friend occasionally can help you work out harder and learn new things. You can work out sans friend anytime.
Get more when you work out together
Feeling a little bit more motivated? Great! Here’s another incentive – throughout December 2021 and January 2022, Places Leisure is offering existing members exclusive deals when you refer a friend to join. Read more on our Refer A Friend page.
In addition, on the 3, 10, and 17th December 2021 all members can bring a friend for free as part of our Bring a Friend Friday campaign. Simply meet a friend at your site on any Friday up until the 17th of December and speak with your friendly Placemaker or a team member at reception and we’ll give your buddy a free one-day pass.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your buddy, beat off those winter blues, and start reaping the double-dose benefits of being active with a friend today!