Becoming a qualified assistant swim teacher!
Get your qualification with us
SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) qualification
This blended learning course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
Teaching swimming is an active and rewarding role. Work hours are generally part-time and there are a variety of working hours and contracts available across weekdays and weekends. Following the successful completion of training, why not take a browse of our current vacancies?
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning exercises, virtual classroom activities and practical poolside learning and assessment. You will participate in at least two 30-minute swimming lessons to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide
Who is it designed for?
Anyone interested in starting a career in teaching swimming or wants to assist a swimming teacher.
How much does the course cost?
Dates and deadlines
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 23rd August.
The course dates and locations are as follows:
- Friday 26th August 12.00pm - online
- Monday 5th September 6.00pm-9.00pm - online
- Tuesday 6th September 6.00pm-9.00pm - online
- Friday 9th September 3.45pm-7.00pm - Tooting Leisure Centre
- Saturday 10th September 7.45am-1.00pm - Tooting Leisure Centre
How do I sign up?
If you think you may be interested in signing up, you can do so via the Institute of Swimming using this link.