Health Benefits Of Swimming
Discover why swimming is the sport for you
Give your health and well-being a boost with swimming
You and a friend could grab your first swim free at our Place!
In 2020, we want to encourage everyone to take up a brand new sport.
So, if you have always wanted to give swimming a real chance to creep into your exercise regime, or you feel like improving your technique, swimming could be the sport for you.
- Improves heart health. Swimming on a regular basis makes your heart stronger, larger and improves your cardiovascular health and endurance. It will also lower your blood pressure, improve your circulation and help reduce the risk of heart and lung disease.
- Gentle on the joints. Because swimming is not weight-bearing, it’s easy on the joints for those who suffer from joint pain and discomfort. It’s a full-body workout that keeps the pressure off your hips, knees and spine.
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Swimming can improve bone mineral density (BMD), which will help fight osteoporosis. This is very important especially for women; a third of women over the age of 50 and a fifth of men experience a bone fracture due to osteoporosis.
- Increases flexibility. While stretching before and after exercising is a sure way to regain flexibility, the act of swimming itself can also help increase your flexibility in your hips, legs, arms and neck. It can also help improve your posture and alleviate back pain.
- Improve muscle strength and tone. Every time you move in the water, you’re putting every muscle group to work. Swimming is a great form of resistance training and can help improve your muscle strength- and you’ll also see long, lean muscle tone forming the more you do it!
- Boosts mental health. Because swimming can be a social activity, you’ll avoid the feelings of social isolation and loneliness that can lead to depression in people of all ages.
- Stress management. Swimming is a great way to reduce your stress levels, boost your mood, and increase your brain function.
What's included in our Swim Memberships?
- Unlimited pool use for Just Swim, Lane swimming and Fun sessions (does not include inflatable sessions)
- Free use of SWIMTAG – wearable technology to track your swim performance and stroke
- Places Locker app – for quick booking, tracking your moves, challenges, exercise programmes and more
- 15 days' advanced booking from the start time of your session
- Receive news and promotional offers