Exercise is the best medicine!
Get active to protect your mental and physical health
Health and wellness are – understandably – at the forefront of everyone’s minds right now. Maybe you’re trying to cut down on your alcohol intake if you've noticed yourself reaching for a glass of wine a little more often in these crazy times? Or, you may be determined to quit smoking once and for all. Both are great goals that can have a seriously positive effect on your health. Want to know another? Exercise.
Here are some compelling reasons why you should use activity to improve and protect your physical and mental wellbeing.
Exercise and health benefits
- Up to 20% lower risk of breast cancer
- Up to 50% lower risk of colon cancer
- Up to 30% lower risk of depression
- Up to 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- Up to 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease
- Up to 30% lower risk of dementia
- Up to 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
- An improved immune system, essential for avoiding the severe symptoms of COVID-19
Exercise can reduce the risks
- Patients with COVID-19 who were consistently inactive during the 2 years preceding the pandemic were more likely to be hospitalised, admitted to the intensive care unit and die than patients who were consistently meeting physical activity guidelines.
- Other than advanced age and a history of organ transplant, physical inactivity was the strongest risk factor for severe COVID-19 outcomes.
- Meeting US Physical Activity Guidelines was associated with substantial benefit, but even those doing some physical activity had lower risks for severe COVID-19 outcomes including death than those who were consistently inactive.
Keeping active in the new normal
Pretty convincing, right? According to government, to get these health benefits and more, adults should try to be active every day and aim to achieve at least 150 minutes of physical activity over a week through a variety of activities.
Of course, the COVID-19 pandemic made those targets harder for many of us to achieve during lockdown, but now that restrictions have been removed, we can make the most of all the options available to us and take even more control of our activity levels again. We can go out when we want, for a run, walk or cycle – or head over to the gym or leisure centre to work out there. At our centres, our sports and activities like fitness classes, swimming, badminton, squash and gymnastics (to name but a few) are as popular as ever, and all are being operated in accordance with the latest hygiene and safety guidelines to keep you safe while you take part. So, why not find out what’s going on at your centre?
If you're not already a member, you may be interested to know we have a great offer running, giving you massive savings. See your centre's homepage for more info and prices. We also have just launched an amazing update to our free Places Locker app, the ideal fitness partner whether you're working out in the centre, at home or outdoors. Find out more here.