The value of swimming
Swimming saves over £357 million pounds a year
The value of Swimming
A ground breaking report released by Swim England (the national governing body for swimming in England) has illustrated that Swimming is saving the health and social care system over £357 million pounds a year.
With over 70% of NHS budgets being spent on chronic diseases, increased participation in swimming would further ease the pressures on local health and social care spending.
What this means
Swimming plays a vital role in local communities. It helps to prevent and treat those with a wide range of health conditions including stroke, dementia, diabetes, cancer and depression. It also shows considerable savings made in less visits to the GP from regular swimmers.
Some key stats:
- 4 million adults feel that swimming has significantly reduced their symptoms of anxiety and/or depression
- Swimmers report feeling on average 6.4% happier than non swimmers – this is comparable to feeling 12 years younger.
- 14 million people in England went swimming in the last year.
- 4.7 million adults swim at least twice a month
Read the full report on the Swim England website or view the video at the bottom of this page.
Ready to take the plunge?
Our swim memberships offer fantastic value for money and are a great way to get started on your fitness journey.
- Enjoy unlimited access to Just Swim sessions
- Free use of SWIMTAG to track and record your swims
- Access to Places Locker App
Need a little help?
1 in 3 adults in England can not swim. Whether you have a fear of the water, or have never had the opportunity, it’s never too late to learn. Our adult learn to swim lessons are a great way to get started.
Simply enquire here and a member of our friendly swim team will be in touch.