Start well and stay well this January
Exercises for when your usual equipment is busy!
We hope you had an amazing festive season and have arrived in 2020 ready to set and smash new goals for your fitness and wellbeing!
We’re here to help! If you're struggling to get onto popular weight machines at this busy time of year, why not try the alternatives below? There's also loads of exercises available on our Places Locker app, so download it today if you haven’t already!
Don't forget, you could also visit at our quieter periods in the early morning or later evening to avoid the crowds.
Here are the instructions to six exercises that may help you as well as the videos to show you how to complete them.
Bent Over Rows
1. Keeping your back straight, hinge your hips backwards so that your chest comes forward (imagine there is a button you press with your bum) 2. Your upper body should not bend or move 3. Drive your elbows backwards and squeeze your shoulder blades together 4. Control the weight back down
Seated Rope Pull Down
1. Attach a cable attachment of your choice 2. Choose your weight 3. Kneel or sit so that your back is straight, and your core is engaged 4. Adjust the height so your arms are straight before the pull
1. Hold a weight close to your chest to make it harder. 2. Start with feet hip width apart 3. instead of stepping straight back , step back parallel and land on your toe with your heel off 4. Lower your body directly down 5. Do not shift your weight forwards as this puts pressure on your front knee.
1. Hold the weight close to your chest 2. Keep your chest upright 3. Sit back as if you are going to sit down 4. Keep the whole of your feet on the ground - if you heels start to come off then you have gone too far. 5. If you don’t feel comfortable with a weight, practice without or with a bench or chair behind you.
Bench Bent Over Rows
1. Instead of standing use a bench at and elevate it until you can sensibly pull the weights towards you. 2.Keeping your back straight, hinge your hips backwards so that your chest comes forward 3. similarly to the standing version your upper body should not bend or move 4. Drive your elbows backwards and squeeze your shoulder blades together 5. Control the weight back down