NPLQ course for 16 year olds in Sandwell
Courses available at West Bromwich Leisure Centre
Do you have what it takes to be a lifeguard?
Learn new skills and help save the lives of others.
We have a free NPLQ course, exclusive to 16 year olds who live in Sandwell and are eligible for free school meals when at school, starting Monday 30th May here at West Bromwich Leisure Centre. NPLQ is widely accepted by swimming pools in the UK and Ireland as a minimum qualification as a role of a lifeguard within the swimming pool. The NPLQ course includes 3 sections:
• Section 1 - The lifeguard and the Law, Swimming Pool and Supervision
• Section 2 - Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
• Section 3 - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid.
• Section 4 - AED
The course includes swimming pool rescue skills, basic life support, basic First Aid, managing a casualty suffering from a spinal injury, managing a swimming pool environment, identifying hazards that could cause harm to users and much more. Every candidate attending a NPLQ course must be 16-years-old at the time of taking the NPLQ final assessment and be able to:
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water
• Tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to the floor of the pool
• Climb out unaided without ladder/steps and where the pool design allows
Our course is due to run on the following date:
Monday 8th August - Friday 12th August (assessment 13th August)
Monday 22nd August - Friday 26th August (assessment on 27th)
Please complete our enquiry form below to see if you're eligible and someone will be in touch.
Working in partnership with Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth games, the Gen 22 project, Department for Education and Sandwell Metropolitan Brough Council