Learn to manage arthritic pain with exercise in our ESCAPE Pain course
Please note: Our ESCAPE Pain programme is not currently available. Please visit our re-opening information for details on our facilities' opening dates. If you have questions about the course, please call us on 02392 534950.
What is ESCAPE Pain?
It is a rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain of the knees and/or hips, that integrates educational self-management and coping strategies with an exercise regimen individualised for each participant. It helps people understand their condition, teaches them simple things they can help themselves with, and takes them through a progressive exercise programme so they learn how to cope with pain better.
The programme aims to:
- Reduces pain.
- Improves physical function.
- Improves the psycho-social consequences of pain.
- Reduces healthcare and utilisation costs.
Above: ESCAPE Pain taking place at one of our sister sites, River Park Leisure Centre in Winchester.
What to expect
The programme will help you have less pain and learn to cope with your knee and/or hip pain better. ESCAPE-pain is delivered as 2 classes per week for six weeks (12 classes in total).
Each class usually starts with a brief (20 minutes) group discussion around a specific topic relating to joint pain. This helps participants to share their experiences with other participants, so that shared learning takes place. We may also have external speakers coming in to give advice.
This is followed by about 40 minutes of a simple circuit-type exercise programme. A physiotherapist or an exercise professional will supervise the circuit and tailor exercises to suit your needs.
During the first and last session, you’ll be asked to complete some questionnaires about your pain and management. This information is useful to see how much progress you have made, and to keep track of how ESCAPE-pain is helping people.
What to bring
All exercise equipment will be provided. It's recommended that you:
- Wear loose-fitting clothing
- Wear comfortable, flat shoes (e.g. trainers)
- Bring a water bottle
- Bring reading glasses, if you need them.
- Have knee and/or hip pain for at least 6 months.
- Inactive (doing less than 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise weekly.)
- Independently mobile and able to carry out exercise.
- Committed to taking part in 2 classes per week over 6 weeks.
- Course starts 24th February 2020
- Classes will run Mondays 1.45pm-2.45pm (for the first 6 week course) & Thursdays 1pm-2pm
- £45 for 6 weeks
For more details, please call us on 02392 534950.